How to Make a Bow in Minutes!
- You’ve picked out the perfect base. You have added mesh, beautiful ornaments, ribbons and flowers…Now comes the bow! You are stressing out because you don’t know HOW TO MAKE A BOW? And YES!! The bow can make or break your design!
- Do you struggle trying to make a perfect bow for your projects? Let me help you out! The biggest pain point I hear about when talking with novice wreath makers relates to making bows. Whether you feel you are all “thumbs” or if you struggle with a physical ailment such as arthritis, you CAN make a beautiful bow that you will be proud to place on your design!
But First, A Few Bow Making Tips
- Choose a quality wired ribbon, preferably canvas, double-sided. I think the most important thing to consider when making a bow is the ribbon. You will need a quality ribbon to get the results you want. When asked how to choose the right ribbon to make a bow, I am reminded about a quote by pro golfer Tiger Woods. He was asked “what would be a good set of golf clubs to pick for a novice?” His answer surprised me! He said the novice is the one that most needs a quality set of clubs. He added that a pro can use any club and get the ball into the hole…Makes a lot of sense when you think about it.
- Practice, practice, practice! I cannot emphasize this enough!! As you watch those of us on Facebook or You Tube making bows, please realize that we have been doing this for YEARS! Do I make every bow perfectly? A big fat “NO”! Like anything in this world you have to practice to perfect your skill.
- Avoid using too many patterns and colors in your bows. I also try to break up my patterned ribbons by using a solid one between them. This helps to make the pattern “pop” or stand out better. Along that note, if you use one polka dot ribbon, don’t use another…avoid repeating the same patterns within a bow.
- Don’t make your bow loops too big. If your bow loops are too big, they will weigh down and droop.
- Make sure you scale the bow size to your project. Think about how someone looks if their clothes are too tight or too big. The same thing will happen with your project. Make sure to “tailor” your bow size to your wreath.
“This post contains affiliate links, which means I receive a small commission, at no extra cost to you, if you make a purchase using this link. Please see my disclosure here for more details.”
How to Make a Bow By Hand
- Supplies Needed
- Several yards of a quality, wired ribbon (preferably canvas or linen)
- Pipe cleaner or floral wire
Where Can I Get Quality Ribbon Without a Tax ID?
- Deco Exchange
- Damon and Parker only stock supplies they would use in their own projects. Excellent quality, good prices and many ribbons I have not seen anywhere else. Check out their ribbon boxes! If you see something you like don’t wait…their supplies sell out fast!!
- Craft Outlet
- I love shopping at Craft Outlet! They have excellent quality supplies and you can “bank” points to use for dollars off your next order. You do NOT need a wholesale license. AND if you spend $69., SHIPPING IS FREE!
- Trendz and Gemz
- Beautiful products!! Bill and Alana have excellent eyes for design and it is reflected in the supplies they have chosen for their shop! They restock frequently so there are always new ribbons to see.
- Trendy Tree
- Great products stocked in coordination with top wreath makers! Fast and FREE shipping at $79!
- There are also several Etsy shop owners who have quality ribbons available own their shop. Some even have smaller lengths of ribbon available if you don’t need a whole roll.
Let’s Find a Way that Will Work for You!
- The is no one “right” way to make a bow. You don’t need to go out and buy a fancy bow maker. You don’t have to use multiple colors of ribbon. Stiff and sore hands? There a fix for that! If you don’t want to spend extra money on an EZ Bow maker or Bowdabra, you use a clip or clothespin to hold your ribbon.
- The video I have made for this post is most simple way to make a bow by hand that I know. I also have made blog posts with video instructions to use the EZ Bow maker as well as Pro Bow the Hand.
- Please let your crafty friends know if you like this post! Shares to Facebook, Pinterest, Instagram not only help me but will also allow you to save the post for easy access.
- If you have any questions, please use the comments below. I will try to help as best I can.
- Have a bow making tip I haven’t thought about?